Sunday, July 27, 2014

The influence of other quilters

How often do you look at quilts made by others on the Internet at quilt shows or elsewhere and get influenced by their styles or skills?
It happens to me quite a lot and I think that's one of the reasons why I play around with so many projects.
At the recent Sydney quilt show I was drawn to this piece called Errant Geese by Jessica Wheelahan. I love this close up photo. It reminds me of the work of Gwen Marston and the Gees Bend Quilters.
I could see how much fun it would be to cut up pieces of fabric and play with colour and form, not worrying about rules or what anyone would think.
 
 Here's the whole quilt and the ribbon Jessica won was for best quilt inspired by an antique quilt awarded by Quiltsmith where I do my Aunty Green classes.
Jessica was sitting in front of me with her children at the awards ceremony and I caught up with her for a quick chat. What an inspirational, lovely lady she is. I was just sorry I missed her speaking at the quilt study weekend recently. I hear it was a wonderful talk.
Jessica doesn't have a blog but is on Instagram as birdie_beetle and has a page on Pinterest featuring a board of her other works at beats and pieces modern quilting.
Heres a totally different style of quilt made by Pamela Brockwell, another extremely talented and lovely person. Her quilt Fiore Della Vita won the best quilt in Victoria last year and is currently travelling along with my Rings And Roses quilt.
When I saw this in Melbourne, I couldn't stop looking at it. It mesmerised me for its machine quilting and all the special details such as the applique and cording. Pamela sure is friends with her machine!
Pamela had special permission from Sharon Schamber to make and enter this quilt as it was based on one of her designs.
This quilt top was pieced by hand by my friend Loz who managed to get all her blocks together at our quilting retreat in May. Of course you may recognise that it's Jen Kingwell's pattern, The Circle Game
It was making my fingers itch to play with fabric and go back to my own version that I started oh so long ago.

If you've been reading my blog for a long time, you'd know that I'm not very biased for just one style of quilt. I love that there's something for everybodys' tastes. I also love that styles and techniques are evolving, it'll be good for all of us by keeping the industry alive and well.

I'm very happy to report that one of my favourite blogs is back after a break. Kathie from Inspired By Antique Quilts is back online, go and check it out. Kathie's blog was deleted for a time so if you want to follow her, you'll have to add your name back again on her followers list.

Until next time, Janet

24 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

What a gorgeous quilt Jessica made; and yes, I also thought of Gees Bend Quilters. I was lucky enough to see Fiore Della Vita in the flesh in Melbourne and like you, I was blown away by the quilting. I just realised (I searched your blog) that you are indeed in the process of making Aunty Greens Garden, but I think it might be a different pattern. In any case, it's stunning.

Karen said...

What a great post, the quilts are wonderful. I'm glad you had fun meeting new people. I'm glad Kathie is back too.

Michelle said...

I loved seeing Jessica's quilt at the show. It was fresh and fun and FREE! Which is what I aspire to for all my quilts.

Dolores said...

thanks for your comments and also for the photos of the quilts. There is room for everyone's varied styles.

Dolores said...

I thought the Jen Kingwell pattern was called Circle Game.

Janet said...

Whoops Delores, must change it.

Nifty Quilts said...

Thank you for showing us where to find Jessica Wheelan. Her quilts are wonderful! The other quilts are jaw-dropping too.

Janet said...

Three very different and interesting quilts! I didn't remember you working on the Circle Game quilt - did you post about it back then? I'm working on that quilt myself and now I'm so curious to see your blocks. I love Loz's dramatic border. I hope your fingers won't be itchy for too long - it's good to be playing with fabric :0)

DoubleL said...

Errant Geese is great to look at. I wish I could free myself up to slice and dice blocks to make other blocks, but I can't ... Just yet. Somehow I would be wanting to match things. I guess I am just one to look and admire and head back to things joining. I've gone from reproduction fabrics to brights like in my Circle quilt that was a huge change for me ... And I love it.

Julia said...

I loved seeing these quilts at the show too.
I wish I could break out of my comfort zone and be that free.
I'm going to check the circle quilt now.
Julia

Rachaeldaisy said...

Jessica's Errant Geese was a knockout at the show! It really is so full of movement!! I agree that one of the great things about patchwork and quilting is the variety of styles and techniques. You don't even limit yourself to quilting but make fabulous bags and cute toys too!

Rebecca in AK said...

Three completely unique quilts! And each beautiful! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Alison said...

Now it is interesting that you woul love to have a go at a quilt like Errant Geese. I am a hand appliquer in the traditional style, and one day decided to try a Happy Village by Karen Eckmeier which is a collage in the freeform style. Couldn't do it! No matter how hard I tried i just couldn't "go for it". My friend said it was a left brain thing.

I would be very interested to see how you get on.

Alison

Thimbleanna said...

What a wonderful post Janet. Thanks for sharing those beautiful quilts. Now show us more of yours. {Not meaning to be rude and demanding or anything ROFLOL!!!}

Nedra said...

Like you, I find great inspiration through other quilters. I think we have a lot in common with many others, or Pinterest would not be as popular!

Shirley said...

I agree Janet. I cannot seem to say no when it comes to joining in with things and oops there I go starting another one. Who is counting anyway and it is meant to be for pleasure. You are an inspiration too.

Jenny Watson Blogs said...

These are so lovely quilts. Thanks for the sharing and just keep up the good work.

Lovely Rory Beca Sevona Maxi Gown

Heather said...

I agree, there are just so many interesting ideas in the quilting world that it would be difficult for me to stick to one! I love trying new techniques and styles and even my fabric tastes are all over the place. I have just been playing with batiks, a fabric group I have said I hated for years!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

The quilts are so stunning! :)
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla

Joy V said...

I love the Errant Geese quilt. Have a few lying around here that could possibly be tamed.....Thank you for sharing your visit to the Sydney show.

Dixie Howard said...

Thank you so much for introducing us to Jessica - she and I are now following each other on Instagram! She is a very talented young lady! I'm so pleased that Kathie is back, and always love your posts too, Janet!

Cascade Quilts said...

I am a follower of Inspired by Antique Quilts, and I got a notification of a new post for her in my bloglovin email - and saw she was working on a red/white pineapple quilt, but I tried to go to her page and it's deleted :( All of it. I am so sad! One of my favorite blogs!

Penny said...

Wonderful blog and posts. Lots of good reading and info here.

mhoodang said...


joker123 ฟรีเครดิต slot online ฟรีโบนัสเพียบ
https://www.slotxd.com/jokergaming123