Monday, March 29, 2010

Sewing and shopping

Those bad, bad bunnies. These two are in time out, please don't pay attention to them, they'll just get worse. They wouldn't co-operate for the face painting session. As for pink bunny, she had a nasty accident and I'm afraid she didn't survive but it's ok because she was a donor bunny and her limbs were saved for a transplant.
Maybe if they behave (and I don't have another craft fail), I can let them pose for you at a later time.
When you have days like this you can click here to feel better.
Pattern is in the latest Homespun magazine, No.82 vol 11.3 See them sitting on the chair on the bottom left of the cover.
I did say Mr Q and I went on a day trip, to Berrima down the south coast. I love visiting one of the old antique shops there. The owner buys container loads of goods from mostly England and sells a lot for props in movies. I do happen to know that the fur coats in the Narnia movies came from here. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the store but I took lots of photos to share.
Edit: I just found the name, its Peppergreen Antiques.
It seemed like everything they had, there was a lot of it. Buttons not only in containers but drawers and big plastic bins of them. I loved the scissors and cringed at the antique irons used in olden times.
Lots of French bakeware, containers filled with rolling pins, antique fishing reels and rods, cut throat razors. You name it, they probably had it.
And this collage is for the klosje enthusaists.
A whole wall of antique and vintage quilts and eiderdowns. These would be classified in the cutter category but I believe the owner has her own special collection. A lot were from the 30's to 60's I'm guessing.
A whole room was dedicated to textiles, linens and clothing. I just loved these vintage cloths.
From the patchwork shop, I picked up some bling for zippers.
 
We went to a Patisserie where we had coffe and bought these hot cross brioche, no spice but delicious cut and toasted on one side with lashings of butter. I'll be making my own spice ones this week.
I did do some other sewing in the weekend but it's getting washed and dried so next time I'll show and tell.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like an awesome shop! My husband and I love to find cute shops like that! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

I think my hubby would love to visit that shop too... whats the addy, maybe a holiday destination...Lol.
Hugs Dawn x x x

Joanne said...

That antique shop looks like heaven!! Thanks for sharing!♥

wishes, true and kind said...

Oh, my! That looks like a shop I could spend hours in! Fascinating!

Sharon said...

Sounds like you had a good day. You are making great progress on your spools, it's looking good. Thanks for the test run on the applique backings, it's great to see products put through customer testing.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Janet, I would have to be at that shop when they opened and they would have to push me out when they closed. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanette said...

Well your ahead of me on the bunnies. Still have to stuff mine & their carrots ore waitng so patiently for the bunnies. :) Hugs, Jeanette

Anonymous said...

I used to come down to Sydney once a year and Berrima was always a stop, I love that Antique shop and must visit it soon once more.

cheers
Christine

julieQ said...

Wow, what an awesome shop! Love that wall of rolled up quilts, and I would love to explore that. As for the bunnies...no bunny's perfect, Mom!

broderie said...

great photos of a lovely day spent shopping! oh what fun when the containers arrive at that shop in berrima.

zigomar said...

Ali-Baba's cave with soooo wonderful things, I must go there, but Im right on the other side of the world (loud crying). Thanks for showing these marvels.

Nedra said...

I've never seen an antique store with so many quilt and sewing type finds. I would have to have someone hide my credit card before I could walk into that store.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

The bunnies are so cute, I love how you posed them! Can't wait to see them finished! I felt very sorry for the pink one - but it did make me laugh!

Marit said...

Thank you for the lovely trip, Janet!
; )

antique quilter said...

oh those bad bunnies....
I wish I could find a buttons like that around here...
I love those white buttons in all those shapes and sizes!!!!
oh my look at those scissors, very fun pictures
beautiful scissor pals.
thanks for sharing
Kathie

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the Craft Fail site. Too funny. I'm sure we can all relate. LOVE the spool and textile wall. I'd have to spend hours there just looking.

Carol said...

What a heavenly store...I could be lost in there for hours and hours. Thank you for sharing with us.

ranette said...

My mouth is watering at the hot cross buns....looks like a very fun time to me....thanks for sharing with us Janet.

Kaaren said...

I could spend a week in that shop. They'd have to carry me out kicking and screaming at closing time.

Send the bunnies over, Janet. I'd be happy to paint the faces for you.

Anita said...

Janet, I love the rabbits and I have the copy of Australian Homespun with the pattern in it for those cuties. I have selected the fabric I will use, but have not cut the pattern out. They look great. Thanks for sharing your photo's of the antique shop. Thank goodness our irons aren't like that anymore hey? Have you ever seen the size of women's antique shoes? Their feet were so slender. I have Bigfoot width feet! Lol. Kind regards, Anita.

Crispy said...

Awww the poor poor bunnies, I hope they recover very soon LOL.

Wow I would love to find a shop like that, what fun!!

Crispy

Lori said...

Oh Janet, it looks like a really fun shop to browse!!
Sorry your bunnies had a bit of facial problems....don't we all every now and then?

randi said...

oh my, what a wonderful shop! so many perfect goodies!

YankeeQuilter said...

What a wonderful shop! The buttons alone would have filled my suitcase....I love the hot cross buns you showed. I'm baking some tonight for our quilt class tomorrow morning (any excuse to back some!)

Lori Holt said...

Oh wow...I could spend a weeks vacation in that shop...do they have beds?...lol!
thanks for the tour:)
lori

Quilting Queen said...

Oh yeah! I could spend some time in that shop...mind you, it would be one heck of a commute. Bunnies ..too cute.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful shop! I could spend a wee bit of time in there for sure!

Janet said...

You are very lucky to have such a great shop within driving distance! Thank you for the pictures.

Janet said...

What a fun outting!! My husband doesn't like to look at "old stuff". I'm very sorry your bunnies are not cooperating - I'm not very good with faces - they never cooperate for me.

Thimbleanna said...

You crack me up -- your poor little donor bunny LOL! Sorry the bunnies have been less than cooperative -- I can't wait to see them though.

And how cool is that antique shop??? WOW! I'd be in HEAVEN there!!!

alobsiger said...

What a beautiful store! LOOK AT ALL THOSE GOODIES??? I would hyperventilate looking at all those treasures. Poor, sad bunnies... I'll have to check my stuffed animals' IDs to see if they are signed up as donors. hee hee

Cath Ü said...

I am happy to see someone is trying my Bunnies.. if all else fails send them to me and I will paint their faces for you... I would love to be let loose in that shop... so would my hubby...

Cath's Blog

Cath Ü

Nanette Merrill said...

oh my gosh, what a post. It is all lovely, even the bad bunnies.

Ginger Patches said...

A donor bunny? That is too funny :) I hope they start behaving so we can see their faces lol!! What a wonderful shop, I would get in tons of trouble in a place like that--thanks for the great pictures!

imquilternity said...

Oh...you are so lucky. I would love to visit a shop like that, where you could spend all day and still never see it all! You must have been in heaven!

Dixie Howard said...

What a wonderful shop! No wonder its one of your favorites. Those buns look so good, and close enough to just reach out and pluck one. Yummo! (I bet yours are better though!)

Robin said...

Oh, my. Nothing worse than uncooperative bunnies! But nothing better than a fun little road trip. That antique shop looks like a treasure house! :)

Carrie P. said...

Wow, what an awesome store. I know I could hours in there.
Oh the bread looks so yummy.