Thursday, January 15, 2009

The final quilt shop fix and my Hexagons

Believe it or not, this is a quilt shop, I know, it looks like a tin shed! It's in Henderson, Auckland.
Take a look inside though and it reminds me of the Tardis on DR Who. It's much larger than first impression and if you click on the photo, you can see all the antique sewing machines, mostly toy ones. We had a nice visit here and then to a curio shop and cafe for lunch before flying back to Australia last night. It was pretty hard leaving the Grandkids when miss 3 year old had tears streaming down her face at our goodbyes.Lurline is taking part in the Great Hexagon Quilt-along which I won't be taking part in but I did say I would show mine.
This is from Australian Quilters Companion Vol.5.2 No 18, designed by Kerry Dear and featured on the cover. I pieced it by hand and hand quilted it last year, its around 60" square which is a good lap size quilt. If anyone is going to make this, you'll need the correct templates from their website.
My other hexagon project is my oldest Ufo and is English Paper pieced. It's the Inner City pattern. I'd only have 3 or 4 rows to put on but I'm not feeling inspired to finish it. It served a great purpose during tough times so I'm not sure how I feel about it.
It's so hot here, even with the air conditioner, outside it's 39 celcius (102F) so I think it's time I disapeared into the cool sewing room. Some have asked me about the Jigsaw footstool pattern I did before Xmas so I'll get onto that in my next post
Janet

13 comments:

Cathi said...

That Inner City quilt is quite incredible. I think it's amazing to look at.
Your hexagon quilt is quite wonderful.

Lissa Jane said...

Oh wow.. I love your hexagon quilt.. makes me almost want to go and drag out my hexagon project (grandma's flower garden)..

I've been to that quilt shop.. and you are right, it IS like the Tardis and the lady who owns it is sooo lovely!!! we travelled further up the mountain for the most wonderful view and lunch!


Lissa

Lucy said...

Ohh my your hexagon quilt is fabulous!

Betsy said...

That hexagon quilt should win you a prize. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are beautiful.....That sure is a neat looking store...

Unknown said...

What a Great Find in that store...OH! your Hexagon Quilt is just Gorgeous..love it...
cheers

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my I love this! The hexagons are something I am working towards conquering.

Browndirtcottage said...

OH MY...I 'LOVE' this quilt...it is fabulous. You did a wonderful job with your fabric selection and everything....I 'want' to do this quilt..love it!

erica e said...

oh my goodness! i LOVE your hexagon quilt. wow. i'm speechless.

Rose Marie said...

Your hexagon quilt is wonderful and your Inner City is begging to be finished!

Doris said...

I am wanting to make the Candied Hexagon quilt...the magazine is no longer available. Would you be willing to share your pattern with me? I found one on ebay, but only shipping to Australia. I am in the U.S.

Your blog is beautiful, and your quilts, gorgeous!

Doris
auntiedart(at)yahoo(dot)com

Karen said...

Oh, your Inner City is wonderful. A friend of mine made one several years ago and I have always admired hers. Yours is equally as good.
I wanted to check your hexagon quilt. It is so interesting!

Avi Uchiha said...

Do you know the fabric yardage required?